Order direct from Goodman's Geese
For help call us on 01299 896272
Italian stuffing recipe
An old Italian recipe for a stuffing for a boned goose. Or it can also be used for a separate stuffing.
- Bone a good sized goose 5kg
- mince 6oz of raw veal
- mince 6oz of lean raw ham (eg. a gammon steak)
- 3oz of butter
- 4oz of bread crumbs soaked in goose stock and strained.
- 3oz of cooking cheese.
- pinch of salt
- teaspoon of mixed spice, and mace.
- 4 large mushrooms scalded or pan fried and chopped.
- 4oz of stone ground flour.
- grated peel of one lemon
Mix the above together with 3 well beaten egg yolks and half a tumbler of white wine, place onto the boned out goose and then make up into a parcel and sew up. Pull into shape and place into a deep pan with a bunch of sweet herbs, bay, rosemary, thyme, salt to taste and pour over another tumbler of white wine and cover with some warm water.Simmer for 2 hours, then drain to crisp the skin, place in a hot oven for 10 minutes.This can be served hot or cold, if served hot, gooseberry sauce adds flavour. If served cold garnish with parsley.